- Sauces & Condiments
- 8 quarts tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 5 sweet peppers, seeds and membrane removed, cut into half-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 hot peppers (depending on degree of heat desired), diced
- 6 large onions, skinned and chopped
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Place all of the ingredients in a non-reactive pot.
- Simmer slowly until very thick, about 3 hours. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Ladle into small, sterile glass jars while hot.
- Refrigerate (will last for several weeks). Jars may be sealed and processed 15 minutes in boiling-water bath for longer storage. Refer to Rombauer and Becker, Joy of Cooking, or other preserving manual for correct procedure and information.